Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Maud Kosmeder Dietz-Maternal Grandmother

 Family History Research/ August 30, 2022

Today, August 30th, 2022 would be the 108th birthday of my maternal grandmother.


Modesta (Maud) Eleanor Kosmeider Dietz

Maternal Grandmother


Modesta (Maud) Kosmeder Dietz


My grandmother was my special lady. As a young boy I couldn't bear to be away from either of them for very long and I found such happiness when I was with them which was pretty much all of the time.  She died young and I was only 5 years old but  my memories of her as vivid as if I saw her just yesterday.


Maud's Life Sketch

My Grandmother's Wikitree Profile 

My grandmother was born on August 30, 1914 in Stevens Point Wisconsin to John Paul Kosmeder and Catherine Dzikowski.

Maud was the youngest of seven children.

Her siblings in order of birth were:

*Agnes (1894-1958) married Herman Bikowski

*Pearl (1895-1969) married Earnest Koukis

* Anna (1899-1965) married Max Czajkowski

*Paul (1900-1962) married Francis Podlaszewski

*Ludwig (1903-1974) married Helen Branski

* Grace (1905-1967) married Alex Strike (Zdrojewski)

 

My Grandmother and Grandfather lived for many years in the small town of Amherst Junction with my grandfather's mother, Grace Pope Dietz. They moved to Wisconsin Rapids sometime in the 1960s.

Maud and Ray would have two children born to them:

*Marlene (1936-1999) married to 1. Orville Jose and 2. Maurice Repinski

*Clyde (1937-2008) married to Jan Bean 

&

 **A Third Child that was never born....

{A rare condition that admittedly sounds like something out of a horror movie: A fetus dies, and is then calcified -- essentially turned to stone -- inside its mother's body.}

A few years after my uncle Clyde was born, it was discovered that he was a twin....a fascinating story. My grandma wasnt feeling well I remember my mom telling me and there seemed to be a rather large lump in her abdomen that could not be explained. 

Sometime in the late 1960s I think, she went to the hospital and the doctors discovered the lump was a calcified fetus in her womb. According to my mom, the doctors removed it and eventually the remains of the fetus made their way to the University of Wisconsin in Madison where it was used in research of some type.

Lithopedian (Stone Baby)

Some of my memories of my Grandma

I remember their home on 13th Street as if it was yesterday. 

My grandma was what was considered a "fanatic" and their house was spottless at all times. She loved the color red and that hue abounded in every room of the house. She was also very fond of oriental decor and I remember lamps in the living room with oriental women and men. Another memory of the house was that it had a built in oven in the wall in the kitchen...I was always so enthralled with that oven.

When I was over at their home, I remember often sitting on the side steps just outside of the kitchen with my little brother and sister. I recall spending alot of time in that house with her.

She also spend quite a bit of time at our home on 15th Avenue. 

During the day when I was a little boy, I remember always wanting to sit on her lap as she watched the afternoon soap operas with my mom....

My grandpa worked at Metcalf Lumber and she would spend the afternoons with us and as soon as grandpa was done with work, he would drive over to pick her up and they would go for a drink or two at a corner bar called "Bubbles Bar" over on Grand Avenue.  I would often go with them and sit on a high barstool and drink a root beer and they would always buy me a "Bunn" candy bar. 

Once in a while, grandpa would have too much too drink so I would drive home with them sitting in the middle of the front seat and grandma would be crouched over as far as possible to the steering wheel and my little legs would be down between grandpa's legs and she would steer and tell me when to put my foot on the brake or on the gas pedal.....this is how they got home quite often from that bar.

I was only 5 years old when she passed away but my memories of her are so very clear in my mind.

My Grandmother, Modesta (Maud) Dietz died April 20, 1971 at her home in Wisconsin Rapids. The exact cause of death was a hemoragic stroke. My grandfather found her in the bathroom of their home as he got home from work the evening of April 20th.

She was only 56 years old....the same age I am now.

 

Maud Kosmeder Dietz was buried on April 23, 1971 in Guardian Angel Cemetery in Stevens Point Wisconsin.


 


Rest in Peace Grandma and happy 108th birthday!!!


Love always,


Your grandson John

 

 

Sources and further reading

* "United States Census, 1940," database with images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K7NB-GBN : 10 January 2021), Maude Deitz in household of Henry Deitz, Amherst Junction, Portage, Wisconsin, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 49-7, sheet 2A, line 6, family 24, Sixteenth Census of the United States, 1940, NARA digital publication T627. Records of the Bureau of the Census, 1790 - 2007, RG 29. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2012, roll 4513.

* https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Kosmeder-1

* https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/104130526/person/280036809807/story?msg=ntm&msgParams=%7c1%7c1%7c&mpid=280036809807&nec=0&mdbid=62308&mrpid=117611289

* https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/sources/M8JT-CG6

* https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/74424651/modesta-e-deitz

* https://www.bigalke.biz/myronfelckowski/getperson.php?personID=I42536&tree=MyronFelckowskiTree

* https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/M8JT-CG6

* https://www.bigalke.biz/myronfelckowski/getperson.php?personID=I42540&tree=MyronFelckowskiTree

* https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/250773509/

* https://www.bigalke.biz/myronfelckowski/familygroup.php?familyID=F16453&tree=MyronFelckowskiTree

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithopedion

No comments: