Thursday, February 01, 2018

Hans-Adam II, Prince of Liechtenstein- 15th Cousin



Family History Research 

Feb 1st, 2018
Our Noble and Royal Ancestors

Repinski-Dulek Family Line

Another discovery a few days ago while researching a number of my mother's family lines back to Europe gave me quite a surprise...


A 15th cousin from my father's (Maurice Joseph Repinski) family line through his mother, Evelyn Dulek Repinski.
...And a Royal cousin at that!!


Introduction

This particular line I knew of, but didn't know of this branch until this last week.
A line that has nobility and royalty going up and down everywhere it seems...

My Grandmother Evelyn Dulek Repinski and her Noble Nalecz Ancestral Branch

From what I have been able to discover, it seems that my paternal grandmother, Evelyn Dulek Repinski descends from a line of "Szlachta" that goes back from her father's mother's line and back to her 6th Great Grandmother (my 8th Great Grandmother), a woman named Anna Katarzyna Pradzinska Gostomska H Nalecz.
Her maiden name being "Gostomska H Nalecz". 

In Poland at this time, the maiden name was given after the married name and often that maiden name is a conglomeration of two family surnames.
I started researching the reasoning for naming system and what I have found is that the part of her surname that is Nalecz, is the "Szlachta" or "Clan" name of a number of noble polish family lines. 


The Nalecz Coat of Arms



Szlachta

The Polish term "szlachta" designated the formalized, hereditary noble class of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, which constituted the nation itself, and ruled without competition.
In official Latin documents of the old Commonwealth, hereditary szlachta are referred to as "nobilitas" and are indeed the equivalent in legal status of the English nobility.

Today the word szlachta in the Polish language simply translates to "nobility". In its broadest meaning, it can also denote some non-hereditary honorary knighthoods granted today by some European monarchs. Occasionally, 19th-century non-noble landowners were referred to as szlachta by courtesy or error, when they owned manorial estates though they were not noble by birth. In the narrow sense, szlachta denotes the old-Commonwealth nobility.

In the past, a certain misconception sometimes led to the mistranslation of "szlachta" as "gentry" rather than "nobility".
This mistaken practice began due to the economic status of some szlachta members being inferior  to that of the nobility in other European countries.
 The szlachta included those almost rich and powerful enough to be magnates down to rascals with a noble lineage, no land, no castle, no money, no village, and no peasants.
At least 60,000 families belonged to the nobility, however, only about 100 were wealthy, all the rest were poor.

As some szlachta were poorer than some non-noble gentry, some particularly impoverished szlachta were forced to become tenants of the wealthier gentry. In doing so, however, these szlachtaretained all their constitutional prerogatives, as it was not wealth or lifestyle (obtainable by the gentry), but hereditary juridical status, that determined nobility.

An individual nobleman was called a "szlachcic", and a noblewoman a "szlachcianka".
Definition of Sclachta


Our Branch to the Nalecz/ Sxlachta Noble Line of Poles

Brief Bio of My 8th Great Grandmother, Anna Katarzyna Pradzinska Gostomska H Nalecz:

Gender: Female
Birth: circa 1680
Death: November 9, 1739 (55-63)
Łąkie?, Pomorskie, Poland
Immediate Family:

Daughter of Jan Jerzy Babka Gostomski h. Nałęcz, Sr. and Anna Katarzyna Babka Gostomska
Wife of Jakub Aubracht Prądziński
Mother of Elżbieta Depka Prądzińska; Anna Pałubicka and Józef Aubracht Prądziński
Sister of Jan Jerzy Babka Gostomski Jr.; Julianna Katarzyna Prądzińska and Konstancja Trzebiatowska
I do not know much more about her than the above. I do know that her father and going back 3 further generations carry the Nalecz Szlachta Coat of Arms/ Clan Surname though (See pedigree below).

 It is from my 13th great grandfather in this line, Dobrogost Gostomski, and his brother that our lines diverge, with one brother's line going to Prince Hans and the other brother's line descending to myself and my family through our other ancestors.

**And for those that know my father and his brothers and sisters, let me know if anyone sees in the photo of Hans below, a resemblance to any of them.  I do!!

The Line of Family Divergence
(Two branches of the same branch divide)

Our Mutual Ancestors
Dobrogost (alias Anzelm) Głowacz z Pawłowic (z Pawlowic vel Gostomski).
*Dobrogost was my 14th Great Grandfather and Cousin Hans' 14th Great Grandfather as well.

A little bit about 14th Great Grandfather, Dobrogost:
Born: early 1400s
Place: Sandomierz, Poland
Died: around 1466 
Place: Torun, Poland

Parents: Jan "Głowacz" Leżeński and Katarzyna Leżeńska
Jan and Katarzyna (our 15th Great Grandparents) had the following children:
1.Hieronim Dogrobost Z Pawlowic Vel Gostomski(our 13th Great Grandfather).
2.Jakub Dobrogost Z Pawlowic Vel Gostomski (Han's 13th Great Grandfather).

Our mutual 14th Great Grandfather, Dogrobost, was the Ensign of Sandomierz, starost of Lublin, voivode of Sieradz, and one of the founders of the city of Głowaczów.

In 1445, as a knight of the Grand Duke of Lithuania Witold Kiejstutowicz, he fought the Teutonic Knights at Chojnice.

He died 1466 staying in Toruń during peace negotiations with the Teutonic Knights, of the plague.


Our Royal Cousin




Johannes Adam II Ferdinand Alois Josef Maria Marco d’Aviano Pius von Liechtenstein, Fürst von und zu Liechtenstein 
15th cousin.

Pedigree From Myself to Prince Hans

John Joseph Repinski
(Me)
 My Father 
His Mother
(My Grandmother)
her father 
(My Great Grandfather)
his mother 
(My 2nd Great Grandmother)
her mother 
(My 3rd Great Grandmother)
her father 
(My 4th Great Grandfather)
his mother 
(My 5th Great Grandmother)
her mother
(My 6th Great Grandmother)
her father 
(My 7th Great Grandfather
his mother 
(My 8th Great Grandmother)
her father 
(My 9th Great Grandfather)
his father 
(My 10th Great Grandfather)
his father 
(My 11th Great Grandfather)
his father 
(My 12th Great Grandfather)
his father 
(My 13th Great Grandfather)
↘︎
his brother 
(My 12th Great Uncle)
his son 
(1st cousin 14 times removed)
his daughter 
(2nd cousin 13 times removed)
her daughter 
(3rd cousin 12 times removed)
her daughter
(4th cousin 11 times removed)
her daughter 
(5th cousin 10 times removed)
her daughter 
(6th cousin 9 times removed)
her son 
(7th Cousin 8 times removed)
his daughter 
(8th cousin 7 times removed)
her daughter
(9th Cousin 6 times removed)
her daughter
(10th cousin 5 times removed)
her daughter 
(11th Cousin 4 times removed)
her son 
(12th Cousin 3 times removed)
his son 
(my 13th cousin 2 times removed)
his son 
(My 14th Cousin once removed)
his son

Johannes Adam II Von Liechtenstein is John Repinski's 15th Cousin

I hope to meet my cousin someday and now that I know we have kin in the little principality of Liechtenstein, I will surly be putting that little mountain country on my bucket list of places to visit someday.

Warm Regards

The Family Historian

John

No comments: