Sunday, February 04, 2018

Alice of Saluzzo, Countess of Arundel

Family Tree History and Research
Sunday, Feb 4, 2018

Alice of Saluzzo, Countess of Arundel
23rd Great Grandmother
1269-1292

Another new discovery today.
And another noble ancestral Great Grandmother!
Through my mother's (Marlene Grace Dietz Repinski) family line comes a young lady who only lived for 23 years but it must have been a pretty awesome 23 years.
She comes from a very old Italian family line and married into a noble English line which would give her many descendants that would help shape the history of our world.

This line descends to my mother and my siblings and their children through her grandmother (our great grandmother), Grace Pope Dietz. From Grace's line, this branch would go back through her fathers Pope family line to my 5th great grandmother, Ruth Hammond Pope and through her mother, Sarah Holmes Hammond's line to her Clark family line and then the Strong family line (which I have not had a chance to research yet).
Eventually this line would lead back to the noble English Leigh and Strafford families to the Goushill and then finally the FitzAlan noble lines.
In this line would be knights and ladies, a Lord Mayor of London and other historic figures of English history.

Alice (or Alecia) Saluzzo FitzAlan is the 1st ancestor of Italian heritage I have discovered.


Shall we get to know this woman, who though she only lived a short 23 years, left descendants including me and my siblings and the Dukes of Norfolk, the English Queen Consorts of Henry the VIII, Winston Churchill, Princes Dianna and the current Royal Family.



Alice of Saluzzo, FitzAlan-Countess of Arundel




The Grand Short Life of my 23rd Great Grandmother Alice 


Alice of Saluzzo, Countess of Arundel also known as Alesia di Saluzzo, was an Italian-born noblewoman and an English countess.

She was a daughter of Thomas I of Saluzzo, and the wife of Richard Fitzalan, 8th Earl of Arundel. She assumed the title of Countess of Arundel in 1289.

Tomasso I
Marchese di Saluzzo
Reign1244–1296
PredecessorManfredo III
SuccessorManfredo IV
Born1239
Died1296
SpouseLuigia di Ceva
Issue
HouseHouse of Aleramici
FatherManfredo III
Mother



Thomas I of Saluzzo, My 24th Great Grandfather



Richard FitzAlan, 8th Earl of Arundel, My 23rd Great Grandfather

Alice/Alesia was born on an unknown date in Saluzzo (present-day Province of Cuneo, Piedmont); the second eldest daughter of Thomas I, 4th Margrave of Saluzzo, and Luigia di Ceva (died 22 August 1291/1293), daughter of Giorgio, Marquis of Ceva and Menzia d'Este.
She had fifteen siblings.
Her father was a very wealthy and cultured nobleman under whose rule Saluzzo achieved a prosperity, freedom, and greatness it had never known previously.

Saluzzo, Piedmont Italy



Sometime before 1285, Alice married Richard Fitzalan, feudal Lord of Clun and Oswestry in the Welsh Marches, the son of John Fitzalan, 7th Earl of Arundel and Isabella Mortimer.

Richard would succeed to the title of Earl of Arundel in 1289, thus making Alice the 8th Countess of Arundel.
Along with her aunt, Alasia of Saluzzo who married Edmund de Lacy, Baron of Pontefract in 1247, Alice was one of the first Italian women to marry into an English noble family.
Her marriage had been arranged by the late King Henry III's widowed Queen consort Eleanor of Provence.

Richard and Alice's principal residence was Marlborough Castle in Wiltshire,
but Richard also held Arundel Castle in Sussex and the castles of Clun and Oswestry in Shropshire.

The Ancestral Homes of Alice and Richard

Marlborough Castle, One of the Ancestral Homes of my Family




Arundel Castle-Another of the Ancestral Homes of my Family





Clun Casttle Ruins-Another of the Ancestral Homes of my Family



Owstery Casttle Ruins-Another of the Ancestral Homes of my Family







Richard, my 23rd Great Grandfather, was knighted by King Edward I in 1289, and fought in the Welsh Wars (1288–1294), and later in the Scottish Wars.

The marriage produced four children:
**1. Edmund Fitzalan, 9th Earl of Arundel (1 May 1285- 17 November 1326 by execution), married Alice de Warenne. (My 22nd Great Grandparents)
Edmund FitzAlan-22nd Great Grandfather
Alice De Warren FitzAlan-22nd Great Grandmother
Edmund and Alice FitzAlan-my 22nd Great Grandparents


Alice De Warren FitzAlan-my 22nd Great Grandmother


2. John Fitzalan, a priest

3. Alice Fitzalan (died 7 September 1340), married Stephen de Segrave, 3rd Lord Segrave, by whom she had issue.

4. Margaret Fitzalan, married William le Botiller, by whom she had issue.
Eleanor Fitzalan, married Henry de Percy, 1st Baron Percy, by whom she had issue.


My Ancestral Great Grandmother, Alice, died on 25 September 1292 and was buried in Haughmond Abbey, Shropshire.


Ruins of Haughmond Abbey-The Burial Place of my 23rd Great Grandparents




Her husband, my 23rd Great Grandfather,  Richard died on 09/03/1301 and was buried alongside Alice.
In 1341, provision was made for twelve candles to be burned beside their tombs.

The Abbey is now a ruin as the result of a fire during the English Civil War.

My 23rd Great Grandmother's many descendants include the Dukes of Norfolk, the English queen consorts of Henry VIII, Sir Winston Churchill, Diana, Princess of Wales, and the current British Royal Family.


My pedigree to my 23rd Great Grandmother

John Joseph Repinski
your mother
her father 
his mother 
her father 
his father
his father
Ruth Pope 
his mother 
her mother 
her mother 
her father 
his mother 
her father 
his father 
his mother 
her mother 
her father
his mother
her mother
her mother 
her mother 
her mother 
her father 
his father 
his father 
his mother

I hope to someday visit Saluzzo and all of my ancestral family castles and to be able to touch all these very cool pieces of my family's history.

Warm Regards

The Historian for my family ancestry

John




1 comment:

Art Newkirk said...

Neat blog John.

Richard FitzAlan, 8th Earl of Arundel is my 19th Great Grandfather. I bet we connect in 20 or more lines, LOL.